What is a Firewall?
A firewall is firmware or software. The Firewall may be in the form of hardware or software. It is a network security device for computers. It is being used as a security network for over 25 years. Firewall mentors network traffic either it is incoming traffic or outgoing.
Traffic from one computer is transferred in the form of packets. Firewall permits or blocks packets of traffic according to need. A laptop contains a considerable amount of data. The incoming traffic must not mix up with the already existing one. One of the main functions of the Firewall is it acts as a barrier between oncoming traffic and already existing. Firewall can provide different levels of protection. The question is how much we need.
What does a Firewall do?
Firewall mainly protects from cyber-attacks to outsiders. It shields a computer from unauthorized access that may result to cyber-attacks. It filters incoming information coming from the internet. If this information contains harmful information or virus files, then it is not allowed to move into the computer. All the massages that live or enter a system are firstly passed to Firewall. The Firewall then checks the situation of the data, whether it meets the needs or not. On this behalf, data is either allowed through or blocked. Every user contains some confidential information. If we want to protect this information from being stolen, then we must consult a firewall. Or another option is to watch cyber hackers stealing your data.
Why are Firewalls so important?
Security is the first need for every user either it is an ordinary network or a network on which a billion-dollar project is based upon. Protecting your computer is as same as projecting your home. A person can never leave his door-step open. A Firewall is just like a door lock or a house-guard. A door lock keeps our household safe. And a Firewall contains our internal(confidential) data and belongings safe. As security is the biggest priority and Firewall never compromises with the guard. This makes Firewall so important.
Pros of Firewall
If you are wondering why we should use Firewall despite other software in this field, then we suggest you have a look at the points below.
- Cyber Security may come on the top if we make lists of pros of Firewall. A firewall is being used in the field of cybersecurity ever since. Mainly it is used to block the installation of malicious or harmful into your computer system. There is a type of cyber-attack in which the hacker floods your computer system with a tremendous amount of network traffic. A cybersecurity expert may suggest making many layers of Firewalls in this regard.
- Detecting Threats is another basic need for every user. Firewalls are designed in such a way that if any harmful material for the system pops up, then Firewall organizes an alert message that may be in the form of beeps or several methods.
- Prevention of lost data is a keen desire of every user. There is an exciting feature in a firewall with the help of which a person can look towards lost data. So, if a person accidentally deletes some files, he/she can access it through Firewall.
- Blocking Immoral Content means blockage of non-desirable content. From the beginning, we are talking about hackers or cyber-attacks. But Firewall is a thing that is much more than all this. We can block specific destinations say as an example, an adult website or a website containing ads.
- Safe online gaming is also a blessing. Several malware hackers mostly target online gamers. That is why online gamers must take good care of their server security. Usage of Firewall makes their server safe leaving behind the system safer. Technically some Firewalls adjust security level according to need.
Types of Firewall
Now let us have a look at several types of Firewalls.
This type of Firewall works as a security checkpoint which is present either inside a router or a switch. It is used for the incoming filtering traffic. We must allow specific things that may pass through the Firewall. For Example, Specific IP Address or any particular types of packets. Every information packet contains a header file. The decision whether the package will be allowed or blocked depends on this header information.
Circuit Level Firewall
In the packet-filtering Firewall, there is a tremendous/long process that means it will take a lot of time. Circuit Level Firewall is famous due to its quickness and work is done without consuming a high amount of computing resources.
A very useful Firewall which is also known by the name Host Firewall. It is mainly famous for the fact that security in depth is assured because of it. It is primarily installed on the device whose protection is needed say router. The major drawback of this Firewall is that if we have more than one device, than we must install this Firewall on every device. This is because this Firewall works individually. As a result, more time, resources, and knowledge of usage needed.
Stateful Inception Firewall
This type of Firewall contains a track of data transmitted with the help of TCP handshake. This tracks the result of all the path from start to end. When the trail started, a database is created to store the information. This database contains some necessary information that contains IP and port information of starting location and receiving destination.
The Firewalls generally come in two forms:
|Host-Based Firewalls||Network-Based Firewalls|
|A host-based Firewall is used for an individual system or any device connected to a specific network. This cannot be used for the protection of a group of devices connected alongside because it can protect only the host. It is an excellent way of protection. Mainly two functions are performed in this. Firstly, is it to protect the host from different malware/virus. Secondly, it stops the spreading of any harmful material.||A network-based firewall is used to manage all the traffic even though it is incoming or outgoing. The working includes the process in which software is pre-installed in the network device. Many companies use only one network-based Firewall because it can manage a lot of device at the same time. It is more precise as compared to host-based Firewall.|
What are some risks factors of not having a firewall?
After discussing all the aspects and benefits of having Firewall now, we must discuss risks for those who do not have Firewalls.
- One significant risk is that this may result in a DOS attack. DOS attack means anyone can send flooded data to our system.
- Another one is any person can breach into our system and take out confidential data that may result in a massive loss for business and companies.
- Due to the DOS attack, there may be a massive amount of data into our PC. There are sometimes when the user needs any information immediately. And cannot excess to it in a short time.
Although there are numerous network security methods/software in the market, the Firewall is the best from all of them. It does not only save our computer from unexpected threats but also manages the traffic very well. If you are using a network, you must have Firewall in your system.