One of the primary phones with 5 cameras on board and, many months once the announcement, still the sole one with four on the rear – it is the Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018). we have a tendency to taken off to get however well the spectacular specsheet interprets into globe performance.
Sitting on prime of the ever-confusing Galaxy A-series, the A9 leaves little question it is the best-equipped of the bunch. Of course, it’s got a lot of cameras than the other – it adds a photograph module to the A7’s regular/wide/depth configuration. there is ‘only’ one cam on the front – the 24MP selfie shooter does not get a depth device of its own.
It s not simply the camera count that sets the A9 other than the remainder of the 2018 midrange Galaxy models – it is also got the foremost powerful chipset. Its flower 660 outclasses the Exynos chipsets of its lesser brethren and solely falls wanting the recently declared A8s (which lacks a year designation, thus it does not extremely count).
The largest show of the A-series is additionally to be found on the A9 (2018), its 6.3-inch diagonal solely bested by that pestering A8s that came out as we have a tendency to were doing the A9’s review, thus we have a tendency to had to repeat stuff here and there. Anyway, the A9 (2018) feature set continues with a lot of RAM than you’ll presumably would like, 128GB of storage that you simply also can expand with a passionate microSD slot, and ample battery capability complete with Samsung’s sort-of quick charging – yup, the A9’s specification sheet has all the proper boxes checked.
Samsung Galaxy A9 (2018) specsification
- Body: Glass back, metal frame; 162.5 x 77 x 7.8mm, 183g; Caviar Black, Lemonade Blue and Bubblegum Pink color schemes;
- Display: 6.3″ Super AMOLED, FullHD+ 2,220×1,080px resolution Infinity display (18.5:9 aspect ratio), 392ppi pixel density.
- Rear cameras: (1) 24MP, f/1.7 aperture; phase detection autofocus; (2) 8MP, f/2.4 aperture, fixed focus, 12mm ultra wide; (3) 10MP, f/2.4 aperture, autofocus, 2x optical zoom telephoto; (4) 5MP, f/2.2 aperture, depth sensing only. LED flash. 2160p/30fps video recording.
- Front camera: 24MP, f/2.0 aperture; fixed focus; 1080p/30fps video recording.
- OS/Software: Android 8.0 Oreo; Samsung Experience 9.0 custom overlay.
- Chipset: Snapdragon 660: octa-core 4×2.2 GHz Kryo 260 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 260, Adreno 512 GPU.
- Memory: 6GB/8GB (market dependent) of RAM, 128GB of storage; dedicated microSD slot for expansion.
- Battery: 3,800 mAh Li-Po (sealed); Samsung Adaptive Fast charging.
- Connectivity: Dual SIM; LTE Cat. 9 (450Mbps download/50Mbps upload); USB 2.0 Type-C port; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO; NFC; Bluetooth 5.0; FM radio.
- Misc: Rear-mounted fingerprint reader; Samsung Pay; single speaker on the bottom; 3.5mm jack.
Well, we would have preferred Android Pie instead of last year’s Oreo, but in a world where the Note9 doesn’t have v9.0 of the OS yet, and the S9 only got it as a post-Christmas present, we didn’t actually expect it of the A9, of all models.
And while we usually avoid thinking in price-vs-performance terms before evaluating a phone on its merits, the number Samsung is asking for the Galaxy A9 (2018) raised a few eyebrows around the office as soon as the phone got in through the door. We’ll be quick to go over the lab test results, but not before we have a look at the A9’s design.