Keep getting The current active partition is compressed error message when trying to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1903? Also, a number of users report Disk Controller: The current active partition is compressed while Upgrade the current version of Windows (7,8, or 8.1) to Windows 10. Or Windows can’t be installed because This PC uses a compressed operating system During the installation of windows. Well, this is not a major issue you can follow solutions below to fix disk controller error windows 10.
Disk controller compressed windows 10
Well before get started, we strongly recommend to backup your important data.
There might not be enough free disk space on your PC to upgrade to Windows 10 version 1903. Therefore, you should make sure that you have at least 16 to 20 GB free disk space available.
Also, temporarily disable or uninstall antivirus software if installed on your PC
Disable compress your OS installed drive
– Advertisement –
If you have the drive compression feature enabled on your PC, this might cause your Windows upgrade to fail.
- Press Windows + E to open file explorer,
- Right-click on System installed drive (basically its C drive)
- Select Properties and navigate to the General tab.
- Here Uncheck the Compress this drive to save disk space option -> Apply -> OK.
- Reboot your computer and retry upgrading.
Check Disk drive for Errors
Run the chkdsk utility that helps with detect and fix disk drive error that may prevent windows 10 upgrade.
- From start menu Search for cmd,
- Right click on command prompt and select run as administrator,
- Type command chkdsk C: /f /r and hit the enter key,
- Type Y when ask for schedule chkdsk to run on next start,
- Close the command prompt and restart windows,
The check disk utility starts scanning the drive for errors and try to fix them if found any. Wait until 100% complete the process, this will restart automatically after complete the process. Now try to windows 10 Upgrade check if this help to successful upgrade to version 1903.
Upgrade your OS with Media Creation Tool
Still having problem upgrade latest Windows 10 version 1903? use the official media creation tool to upgrade windows 10.
Clean install Windows 10
Also, you can consider performing clean install following steps below to get a fresh start.
- Download Latest Windows 10 Version 1903 ISO from here.
- Create an installation media following steps from here,
- Boot Windows from installation media
- Press any key to boot from your installation USB drive.
You might need to enter your BIOS or UEFI settings, so make sure you know the exact combination of the necessary keys for your model. Go to the boot order menu and set your machine to boot from the media.
- The Install Windows screen will show up.
- It is time to choose your language, time and keyboard settings. Then click Next.
- Click on the Install Windows option. And follow on screen instructions from here to perform Windows 10 clean install.