Torrents are great, they are the best way to share large files with your friends, or even with people you don’t know at all. But surprisingly enough, not many people create torrents when they need to share something.So, if you’re looking for how to create a torrent, you’ve come to the right place. We’ll teach you all you need to know.
Creating Torrent Files: The Basics
You might be wondering what do you need to create a torrent, or why would you do this in the first place? Well, there are many good reasons why this kind of file transfer is useful. This can be easy to see if we compare it to traditional uploading.
Today, most people use cloud services to upload and share files. There’s nothing wrong with this, and there are numerous great free-of-charge cloud services. However, let’s say that you want to share a family movie as soon as you can. Uploading that large file to a cloud takes a lot of time. This means waiting for hours, if not days, for the movie to be fully uploaded prior to sharing. Well, torrent eliminate that waiting time – making your movie ready as soon as you create and share a torrent file.
Before we dive any deeper into how to create a torrent, let’s check out the requirements. Lucky for you, there are only two things that you need to meet:
- First, you need to have a file you’d like to share on your computer. This can be a single file or multiple files zipped into one ZIP archive.
- Then, you need a torrent client. In case you don’t use one, we strongly recommend checking out the best torrent clients of 2019. In this article, we are going to use uTorrent – which is our torrent client of choice. However, the process of creating a torrent is pretty much the same regardless of a client you use.
How to Create a Torrent: Quick & Easy Guide
After a short introduction, let’s jump to what you want to know. Here’s how to create a torrent, the easy way. Keep on reading.
- First, launch your torrent client. As said earlier, we are going to use uTorrent in this article;
- Now, go to File > Create New Torrent (located in the top-left corner of the application’s window);
- Next, you need to click on either ‘Add File’ or ‘Add Directory’. In case you want to share a single file, you can click on the first option. The second option is used when you want to share multiple files located within a single folder;
- Navigate to the file or directory. Then, click on ‘Open’ in the bottom-right corner to confirm your decision. If you’re browsing for a directory, click on ‘Add Directory’;
- You also need to add tracker URLs. By default, uTorrent will add two or more trackers which should be enough if you simply want to share that torrent with someone you know. However, things are different if you want to upload your torrent to some well-known torrent website. For example, if you want to use The Pirate Bay – you need to do a search on Google about TBP’s current tracker URL;
- Finally, there is additional information like comments, RSS, similar torrents, and more. In general, you don’t need to fill out these fields. Lastly, you can decide whether you’d like to create a private or public torrent. In case you’re not sharing something highly sensitive, you can create a public torrent.
- That’s it! Once you’re done, click on ‘Create’. Select where you’d like to save the torrent and click on the ‘Save’ button.
Once you’ve created the torrent file, remember that you are the first seeder. This means that you need to keep uTorrent open and make sure you’re seeding it.
How to Upload a Torrent File?
Now that you’ve created a new torrent file, you can simply send it over to your friend. They will be able to use it by adding the file to uTorrent – which will begin to download the file immediately. However, you can also upload your torrent and make it available to just about anyone. Here’s how that can be done.
- We will show you how to upload your torrent to The Pirate Bay – the most popular torrent repository in the world. So, go ahead and open The Pirate Bay using your Web browser;
- Make sure to register for a new account using the ‘Register’ link at the bottom of the page. Fill out the needed information and submit it. Then, check your email and confirm the creation of the new account;
- Return to the Home Page of TPB and click on ‘Login’. Enter your new credentials and access the website;
- Once you’ve accessed your account, click on ‘Upload Torrent’ at the bottom of the page;
- Finally, fill out the needed information. You have to upload the newly created torrent file, enter a name, category, and description. Once you’re done, click on the ‘Add to Index’ button and your torrent will become accessible to anyone.
- Once again, make sure that your uTorrent is open and that you’re seeding the newly created torrent. This will allow other people to access it, download it to their computers, and become seeders themselves.
That’s about all when it comes to how to create a torrent. In case you have any doubts or additional questions, don’t hesitate to ask us. Use the comments section below to leave us a comment.